As a result of requests from several medical schools and residency programs to extend the poster contest deadline, the Cureus editorial staff has decided to change the submission deadline to October 12 at 5PM PST.
We are pleased to see that more and more programs have been getting involved in the competition with entries from medical schools all over the United States, Europe and now the Middle East. As of this post, top honors go to:
- Johns Hopkins
- Case Western
- University of Central Florida
- Washington University in St. Louis
The schools from the eastern half of the US are definitely dominating those from the west to this point with the exception of Stanford and UW. Where are USC, UCLA, OHSU, UC San Diego? Time to get moving!
Note: voting is open once a poster is submitted, so the authors who get their posters submitted before the deadline and begin promoting them have a head- start toward finishing among the top 10 finalists. The Cureus editorial board will select the top 3 winners from among the 10 finalists.
Competing For Eyeballs of Those Passing By
- You are competing with everyone for the attention of a few (1 minute of their time – MAX)
- Catchy titles! Lure in the reader with a title that stands out from the crowd
- E.g., One title I used was “The Panic Disorder Patient who Cried Wolf.” Clearly, this is not the title for the manuscript I eventually published (which was about information-processing biases and auditory perception in anxious individuals), but, it certainly piqued the curiosity of convention-goers.
- BIG PRETTY GRAPHS ROCK!!!
- Bullet-pointed text (similar to a talk). A few points of interest or “talking points,” but let the quality of your tables and graphs/images speak to the quality of your data!
- No one has the time to read tiny text boxes (if the reader has to squint…you lose)!
- Consider leaving out the abstract (so many words, and these words are redundant with what your poster will convey LOUDLY AND CLEARLY, also the abstract will be published in the Conference Proceedings anyway. On Cur?us, the title of your poster will be directly linked to your published abstract. In essence, your poster IS the abstract plus some cool graphic design effort!
- What to include?
- Background and Rationale
- Specific Aims and Hypotheses
- Summarize results in bullet pointed text
- Don’t add a single bullet under a point. What’s the point in the bullet if the bullet IS the point?
- Implications/Future Directions
Most of all, have fun with your work, have confidence in it, and BE CREATIVE!
Poster Sample (above): Spinal Chordoma by Stefan Norbert Zausinger
Several months ago we started a revolution in medical publishing by offering tools for physician authors unlike any in the industry. Today we expand the revolution to include medical and graduate students, residents, fellows and anyone who has or will publish a medical poster. There are thousands of posters discarded after conferences every year and yet they represent hard work, creative thinking and many will lead to the next full academic papers.
Dust off those posters sitting on your hard drive and upload them to Cureus where they can receive new life.
To have some fun we are introducing our Fall 2012 International Poster Competition which includes a $1,000 Grand Prize and $100 prizes for each of our 40 categories. Each category will have a winner for a total of 40 First Place prizes. We are honored to have Varian Medical Systems participate as the sponsor of the competition. They are a company that values innovation and are strong supporters of physician authors who are pushing to advance medical science and discourse.
As authors you may submit any poster you have created over time and as many as you like. Once you upload your poster, its time to promote….get friends, family, professors etc. to come vote for your poster. The top 10 vote recipients in each category will make it to the final round where our esteemed Editorial Board members will select the Top 3 Winners in each category. Top 3 winners will get noted in their profile and can add this distinction to their CV…plus bragging rights.
Go to www.cureus.com/posters to get started.…the sooner your poster is submitted, the sooner you can begin getting votes and head toward victory.
Let the games begin.
Download the official Fall 2012 Poster Competition Press Release.